April 25, 2012

birthday parties galore!

We're crazy for birthday parties!

This month between my 6 year old and 7 year old they have been invited to 7 {yes, 7!!!} birthday parties! Buying gifts can get very expensive. We usually try to get creative with gifts, and try to get something fun and unique that will still be useful. {including but not limited to crafts, park day passes, zoo passes, event gift certificates, etc}

This last weekend my 6 year old was invited to a party for a fellow kindergartner. In the invite was a little note that surprised me and I thought it was such an awesome idea. It asked that you NOT bring a gift but instead make a $5 donation {suggested but only if you were willing} which would be donated to their teacher/class to buy books for the class. I loved the idea - the child doesn't end up with more "stuff", and the class got new books!

{Ok, we still kind of gave a gift...my daughter made a homemade birthday cards for the birthday girl we attached a homemade flower hair clip - I love making these!!! They're quick, simple, and cost close to nothing to make.}

I will definitely have to keep this in mind for my own kids. Other great ideas would be to donate gifts to Toys For Tots or children's homes/homeless shelters. They by no means ever need more "stuff" and what a great opportunity to teach them about giving to others and those in need.

No comments:

Post a Comment